Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

A Lifetime of Star Spattered Adventures

I am pleased to report that I did in fact go to Magfest yesterday, entirely on my own.  My mission to meet NintendoCapriSun was sucessful, and in good time I might add.  The icing on the cake was me obtaining a pin with the Team Gurren logo on it, complementing the Triforce of Courage that I'd drawn on my hand.  Everything I brought back from Magfest was a symbol and testament of that courage, as was my returning home entirely on my own at all.  It's a story not unlike the one I told just a few days ago to inspire myself, but at the same time, it is much more subdued, in that I didn't meet NCS on my way out the door, in the style of my obtaining Pikmin 2.  Indeed, it is a story that needs to be told, and most certainly will...in time.

For now, something else is on my mind...contact resonating from my heart, its origin in a distant land.  While my latest and greatest adventure has been my most epic, taking me far beyond the former boundaries of my world, something tugs at my heart that hints at an even greater adventure...one that will dwarf this one to an even greater degree that this one dwarfed my last one.  This latest adventure was built all around fear...at first, fear of the unknown, later overpowered by a fear of having to report failure to those who encouraged me to fight said fear.  Reasons become much more potent when there is more than one person to disappoint. 

It's a special moment, though, when you realize that one person's words hold a great amount of power over you.  It isn't the case that I was unaware of the power of this person's influence...I knew precisely what was going on before I'd successfully gathered my courage, but looking back, part of the excitement of even going was so that I could bring news of it back to this person...to say "I did it."  Looking at it now, I want it to be the proof that I will some day pierce the heavens.  More importantly than "I did it," I want this victory to say "I'm coming." 

As I mentioned before, my heart was contacted once again, much as I described in "Station of Contact" some months ago.  This time, however, the pulses are faint, upset by the distance they are forced to travel.  My heart wishes to respond with all its force, but it knows that its true messages will be lost along the way, not for lack of strength or will, but because such a powerful obstacle stands before it.  That obstacle is, as I said, distance.  Indeed, this is a contact that might be called "star-crossed."  I think this may be the first time I've ever truly felt such a thing, since most previous notions have fallen instead under the category of "unrequited."  This, however, has transcended that hope-forsaken title.

It is this distance, this star crossed connection between two hearts that continues to send the heat from the fires of adventure up my spine.  Were I to come into posession of a Triforce, or seven Dragon Balls, my wish would be certain.  It does not seem, however, that either of those things will soon be in my posession, and as such I must rely on my own Spiral Power to grant my wishes.  Though a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak, I like to believe myself to be like Simon the Digger.  When he found his Nia, his Spiral Power soard to new heights, and he became capable of turning the universe itself on its head.  This isn't Gurren Lagann of course, so my Spiral Power will likely be manifest in different ways, but I have no intention of letting it die down or forgetting about it.

The truth is, I like that power.  Despite the fear and the...financial pains I felt on my last adventure, that feeling of accomplishment remains, and along with it comes confidence.  Perhaps next time it will be something even bigger, and that will bring me a step closer to closing this star crossed gap that I'm coming to detest with my entire being.  The residual fire that remains in me after an adventure always encourages me to better myself, and I always wish for that fire to burn forth and see me through that betterment.  It is only in hindsight, however, that I see the size of these steps, and so I can never be certain how far my fire takes me. 

I do not wish for Distance, my enemy, to stop me.  I do not want to be defeated by it, and allow the fires of adventure to die down and my heart to stop acting out.  I will always admit that Distance is a formidable foe, and that conquering it may indeed take time, in addition to great portions of strength and wisdom.  Despite this, I wish to keep winning battles and overcoming boundaries.  I want to creep up on Distance...slowly, chip away at it and only letting it realize such until it has become far too weak to stand against me anymore.  As I said, I like the fire, and the moments in which I shine with fighting spirit are among my favorites.  I want to chip away at those stars...one by one...and look at the next and say "I'm coming."

I understand that this is a fool's errand, and that probability dictates those fires will not lead me to victory every time, or even enough times.  There will be days when these words are nothing but folly.  I may look back at them as I do with many of my words, and tear up at their childishness.  More and more, however, I am realizing that wisdom offsets such pessimism.  I understand these bursts of inspiration and adventure.  I must know they occur, for such words were what took me to Magfest and back.  When I look back at those words, I cannot commit them to foolishness or infamy, for that very reason.  My resolution here is far grander in scope, and time will only tell if these words will later by vindicated by victory.  Indeed, this is a huge undertaking, and many many flames have been doused by such a thing, but while the fires of hope and adventure burn, they must be noted.  Such beacons should not be forgotten, lest they not be around to provide the final shove into action.  Perhaps that is all I can hope for from these words...for I do not know if words alone will be enough to defeat Distance and cross the stars.

...Wait for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment