Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Hocus Focus

I want to make a mental note here about another entry I was gonna do called "Eat Your Values."  If I had readers, boy would they be pissed at all the little teases I give for future posts.  It's hilarious.  Wasn't I supposed to do one for like, Christmas lights and blink 182 and...what did I call it...oh yeah "Woman Rock."  That's kind of what I want to talk about today.

Seriously though, what is this blog ABOUT?  I've been doing a lot on anime lately, and I've even held myself back from doing a little TOO much of it.  I'm not an anime blogger.  I did the whole movies thing too, largely about Harry Potter, but I don't watch nearly enough movies to claim I'm a movie person either.  Then there's all the social/political stuff...but I'm not that serious.  Here and there are "days in the life" style things too.  Honestly I'm not all that interested in that kind of thing either.  Unless I'm a celebrity or some person of note, I don't really think it's appropriate for me to talk about what I've been doing the past few days.  I'm pretty sure I've already said a bunch of times that if I talked about that sort of thing all the time I'd sound like a broken record.

All that considered, I sometimes worry about my blog having a focus.  If I did have a bunch of followers, I feel like it wouldn't be fair for me to appeal to some of them but not others.  For example, the anime fans would only get a few posts every few months, and the social people would only get something interesting every few weeks.  It sounds simple or trivial, but with every website comes updates that are hit or miss.  Take something like Serebii.net, a site that covers Pokemon.  Some updates are strictly about the games, and others are about the anime.  Obviously, one's going to be more popular than the other.  I guess it's overthinking it, since you can't down a good news site like Serebii.   Overthinking is what I do though...clearly.

It's actually very simple and in truth I've already covered this whole thing about "focus."  Under the name of my blog, there's a line that says "The point is there is no point."  When I put it up there, I just thought it kind of sounded cool and it fit what I was doing.  After two posts about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann however, I started to wonder all of the above, and then I noticed that little line there again.  It's absolutely right.  The point is there is no point.  It's probably because a lot of the time, I'm not here to make a point.  If you read a lot of my posts, they're really just ramblings without a whole lot of solid, polarizing statements.  I mean, most of them have a thesis, sure, but I'm not attempting to drive something into your brain and totally persuade you of something.  I'm just throwing it out there really.

Waaay back in February, I started Either Way.  It was largely inspired by Foamy the Squirrel, a character from a webtoon called "Neurotically Yours."  Many episodes of the show feature the little foul mouthed squirrel ranting about something...whether it be dieting or bullies.  While going through the series again back then, I noticed that I actually didn't agree with a bunch of the things that he said.  In some cases, he goes a little farther than I'd like with his opinions.  In doing so, however, he brings up good points about the topic at hand, and can be used for great discussions.  If you're ever with a friend and have no idea what to talk about, find a Foamy rant and then discuss it.  He's a good example of how sometimes there's truth in comedy that takes it to the extreme.

That's a great thumbnail.
(No seriously though, when it comes to food, Foamy is truly my lord and master)

So that's really the origin of my blog as a whole.  I really need to do a few more reactions to Foamy videos...which are things I actually had planned to do as entries early on before the "reboot" in August...for my blog that is, not the Foamy series, which actually did get a reboot sometime this year.  He still rants though.

Quick origin story for "the point is there is no point," which I'm pretty sure was not originally said by me.  See, last semester I was in a class called "The Literary Essay," where we wrote basically a bunch of short non-fiction pieces.  One of the assignments was to write about a person, so I wrote about a guy I was in a band with...actually this exact time last year.  Well, I didn't do such a good job on...okay, I got a B, but that was the lowest grade I'd gotten on an essay so far in that class (Piccolo: NEEERRRRRD).  The thing that brought me down was that I didn't make a clear enough point.  When I got to my next class, I wrote in my notebook "Why am I so mad?  Well, I didn't do so well on the Personality Essay and I don't know what "NEEDS MOAR DRAFTS" is.  Seriously, it's Keeth K, the point is there is no point!"  And it was true, I suck at doing drafts of things.  Okay, it's also true that when it comes to Keith, there really is no point...largely because you would have had to have known him since forever to understand a damn thing he was talking to you about.

Keith and I are VERY different people, though he would certainly attest otherwise, so it's ironic I'm using something I said about me to describe myself.  It's really true about me and all of this "focus" business.  I've said this before, but I tend to go through phases with what I'm interested in, and they generally last about two weeks.  To try and talk truthfully about anything else during those two weeks would be...dishonest of me.  More and more I'm realizing I'm more of an "in the moment" person, even if whatever happens to be in the moment isn't action.  I've just got to remember that it's my variety of things that makes me great.  I'm all about broadening horizons, so if you dislike whatever I write before you read it, that's kind of your issue.  I think my rule is simply that I won't ever talk about anything i don't find at least remotely interesting.  My only hope is that I say something on the topic that either hasn't been said before, or hasn't been said in my way before.

Either Way, limitations get no one anywhere.

Also, in case you're interested....Keith is on the left.  I really should just post that literary essay though.

No comments:

Post a Comment